Sunday, October 21, 2007

Living in America

I moved to America to live and work in the most productive country in the world. My grandfather was a coal miner from Pennsylvania, my wife was born in northern California and it was exciting to move here from Canada. My intent was to live in an environment where the finest minds in Psychiatry existed. The University of California, San Diego has numerous thought leaders in mental health and their presence inspires me. I had not yet experienced interacting with health care insurance companies where doctors are assumed to be either stupid or fraudulent, although that is another story.

A woman named Dr. Georgiana Rodiger lives and works in Pasadena California and last week I went to visit her. She is not a famous academic at a famous university, although I had heard much about her from my partner Dr. Pam Laidlaw. The office I practice in with Dr. Laidlaw was originally Dr. Rodiger's. Before meeting Dr. Rodiger I read her book, "The Miracle Cure." In Pasadena I had the chance to observe Dr. Rodiger supervise her colleagues as they brought forward people that were struggling in psychotherapy (talking therapy) that they treated. Dr. Rodiger's comments were a combination of both kindness and insight that can only be found in experienced experts. The comments she made were direct and easy to appreciate for seasoned colleagues. After the supervision, Dr. Rodiger spoke to me about my son and a number of other issues. She mentioned casually that she has made a a study of numerous saints as Dr. Rodiger is also a religious and spiritual person.

Driving back to San Diego I could not stop thinking about the morning's experience. That night I had trouble sleeping, which is uncommon for me unless I am excited or worried. Since we met, when I think of Dr. Rodiger's wisdom and generosity, I think she may be a saint herself. In my career I have met many extraordinary individuals that work in mental health. Dr. Rodiger exceeds all of these individuals in my opinion. I spoke to Dr. Laidlaw about my impression and she agreed with me as do most of the people that Dr. Rodiger works with. America is privileged to have people like Dr. Rodiger caring for and teaching others how to help people with mental health conditions. It makes me proud to be a psychiatrist knowing I have colleagues like Dr. Rodiger.

At the same time there are disturbing things in America. It seems the higher one goes, the greater potential for the depths. In the November 2007 Vanity Fair, I read about issues that shocked me. According to one article, some military contractors appear to be committing fraud, stealing money from American taxpayers at an amazing rate. Some estimates are that billions have been over charged, making a small group of these thieves wealthy. Until the cases are heard everyone is innocent, although apparently the justice department is reluctant to go after contractors like Halliburton and it's subsidiary KBR.

While congress debates cutbacks for mental health care, it seems ironic. The thought of cutting millions that help people get better and/or even return them to becoming taxpayers themselves, while neglecting the prosecution of people charged with stealing billions seems wrong to me. If hte stolen money could be recovered it could be put toward a good cause with moneyh to spare. There would probably be enough for some of my patients to even buy a bike which tey fantasize about. Can you imagine getting around San Diego on foot, let alone a bike? Please read the article on page 212 of Vanity Fair November 2007 edition titled "The People vs. The Profiteers" by David Rose. See if you find it as disturbing as I did, considering all the other needs in America that require those stolen funds. In fairness, maybe there was no intent to defraud, it was just an honest mistake. Maybe the tooth fairy is real also.

Two weeks ago I was on the deck of the Midway, an aircraft carrier docked in San Diego. The description of landing and leaving the deck of this great ship by brave airmen left me with goosebumps. What the people of America have been able to accomplish in so many settings is inspiring. From the mental health practitioners to the brave people of their military, American's have much to be proud of. The problems will be solved and my hope is to make a contribution to this great country and the great people I have met. If someone has stolen from these people, they should be ashamed of themselves. No matter how rich they became though their greed.

No comments: